Wednesday, January 12, 2011

How to GULL WING your door...

So, I decided since I haven't had a lot of chopper shit to share lately, I'd share a little on how to gull wing a van door...........

The first thing I did was to ask someone who had done it before.... that saved me a lot of embarrassment......

I got a 3' section of hinge that I cut down into 2 1' pieces..... then I put a few holes and a few slots in each (the slots are so that I could adjust everything).... I also cut a couple spacers to that the hinge would sit in the right place on the body (it attaches to the roof just below the drip rail in a little cut-in that sits up 1/4" so the spacer was essential....

Then I attached the hinges to the door through the slotted holes using self-tapping screws.... I cut the ends of the screws off that poked through the door skin so they wouldn't get in the way when I was putting the door on the van itself.... I measured to the center of the door and then put the hinges in the center of each section that I divided the door into....

Once the hinges were on I put the door in place...... I put it on the ladder so that it was easier to maneuver....... while Matt helped me put it in place I just put a couple self-tapping screws in the hinge to hold it on so that I could make sure that everything fit before I welded anything.....

To put the air shocks in place I measured down the door 5" and bolted the top of the shock in place.... then I opened the door to the furthest point that I could and attached other side of the air shocks.....

Once everything was in place I crossed my fingers and moved the ladder........... well, what the fuck do you know? It worked. The door stayed open and shut when I wanted it to................ almost like I knew what I was doing.............

That's all I got for now..........

Thanks for wasting your time by reading my post..... haha.............






















No comments:

Post a Comment